zaterdag 28 maart 2009

An Ultra Narrow Grid Spot for your flash

Last week I made a grid spot from drinking straws for my flashes. You can read about these DIY devices here.

It took me a few hours to build one with 4.5 cm straw fragments. The result was nice. The spot creates a circle of light about 20 cm wide when used from a distance of about 1.5 meters. (Note: In The Netherlands you can find these black straws at the Xenos or the Ikea)

I wished however for a tighter beam of light and wondered if I could use the complete straws in a construction. I'm a bit lazy and didn't want to glue a cardboard/straw assembly together only to discover that it did not work. So I tried the following:


I bundled two packs of straws with two rubber bands (a band on each end) so that they formed a nice circle. I used an already home made snoot as container, c.q. flash mounting device. To prevent light leakage I wrapped a black cloth (a.k.a. a pair of socks) around the straws and put this in the front of the flash mounted snoot:


The result was great! This grid created a spot as shown on the first image. The hot spot is about 5 cm when used from a distance of about 1.5 meters. Not only was it quick to assemble, but this way the snoot can function as a snoot AND a grid spot. So the bundle of straws and the sock get a nice permanent place in my flash bag...


3 opmerkingen:

  1. Excellent work.
    Thanks for sharing this at Lighting Mods.
    Keep them coming.
    Regards,

    Rui

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I tried twice at Xenos in Almere but only got colored ones. I just bought a small box of whites from a C1000, but they have small stripes of colors. I hope that they will not cast a bad color cast

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. If you want your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you have to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Win your ex back with TEXT messages?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen